Rockstar Games' open-world title, Grand Theft Auto 5, has smashed a total of seven world records, including the best-selling video game within 24 hours and the "fastest entertainment property" to generate $1 billion, according to Guinness World Records.
The Rockstar North-developed title reached $1 billion in sales within three of days hitting shelves on Sept. 17, breaking records previously held by Call of Duty titles. In GTA 5's first day of retail, 11.21 million units were shifted, generating revenue of $815.7 million.
"GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we're thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books," Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief Craig Glenday said in a prepared statement. "Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I'm also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book."
A full list of Grand Theft Auto 5 records follows:
- Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
- Best-selling video game in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
- Highest-grossing video game in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game
Grand Theft Auto 5 launched Sept. 17 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. For more information about the game, be sure to read our review.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- This is why we can't have nice things.