Rockstar Games' open-world title, Grand Theft Auto 5, has smashed a total of seven world records, including the best-selling video game within 24 hours and the "fastest entertainment property" to generate $1 billion, according to Guinness World Records.
The Rockstar North-developed title reached $1 billion in sales within three of days hitting shelves on Sept. 17, breaking records previously held by Call of Duty titles. In GTA 5's first day of retail, 11.21 million units were shifted, generating revenue of $815.7 million.
"GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we're thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books," Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief Craig Glenday said in a prepared statement. "Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I'm also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book."
A full list of Grand Theft Auto 5 records follows:
- Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
- Best-selling video game in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
- Highest-grossing video game in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game
Grand Theft Auto 5 launched Sept. 17 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. For more information about the game, be sure to read our review.
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- The best song in a video game?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Gamertag Hook-Ups
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)