Final Fantasy 6 is currently in development for mobile devices, longtime series director and producer Takashi Tokita told Polygon today at a Square Enix press event.
Final Fantasy 6 was originally released in North America as Final Fantasy 3 in 1994. The game has since been ported to PlayStation and GameBoy Advance. After the success of the original Final Fantasy 3 and Final Fantasy 4 for mobile devices, Square Enix began work on ports for Final Fantasy 5 and 6, Tokita said. Final Fantasy 5 launched for mobile devices earlier this year.
The mobile version of Final Fantasy 6 will be a refined version of the 2D game and is currently in beta. Square Enix hopes to complete it within the next few months for an international launch this winter.
Alexa Ray Corriea contributed to this report.
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- I've experienced the Pokémon World Championships, and you should too
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)