Final Fantasy 6 is currently in development for mobile devices, longtime series director and producer Takashi Tokita told Polygon today at a Square Enix press event.
Final Fantasy 6 was originally released in North America as Final Fantasy 3 in 1994. The game has since been ported to PlayStation and GameBoy Advance. After the success of the original Final Fantasy 3 and Final Fantasy 4 for mobile devices, Square Enix began work on ports for Final Fantasy 5 and 6, Tokita said. Final Fantasy 5 launched for mobile devices earlier this year.
The mobile version of Final Fantasy 6 will be a refined version of the 2D game and is currently in beta. Square Enix hopes to complete it within the next few months for an international launch this winter.
Alexa Ray Corriea contributed to this report.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today