FTL: Faster than Light, the punishing indie spacefaring roguelike from Subset Games, will receive a slate of new features as part of a free expansion that will launch early next year, alongside a much-anticipated iPad port.
The expansion, FTL: Advanced Edition, will add "new weapons, drones, augments, systems, enemies, and more," according to the game's official site. Specific additions include a new mind control ability, which allows you to temporarily turn your enemies against each other, and a hacking system that lets you sabotage enemy ship components; for example, you can make an enemy med bay harm its inhabitants, rather than heal them.
The update will also add a new space sector for players to explore, featuring a new storyline penned by returning writer Tom Jubert and guest contributor Chris Avellone, who "managed to find some time for us between his work on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2."
The free expansion will launch alongside an iPad port of FTL: Faster than Light, which will include all the additions of the Advanced Edition. The developer hopes to bring it to other tablets, "but [does] not know for sure" whether that will be possible. The game won't be coming to phones, according to the developer's website.
Both the port and the expansion will launch in early 2014.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- Russian and German armor clash in Combat Mission: Red Thunder
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- 'The Players' Score: A Videogame Music Documentary' is headed to Kickstarter with composers you'll recognize
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- I've experienced the Pokémon World Championships, and you should too
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)