President of Sony Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida wants Nintendo to be "very successful."
In an interview with IGN this week, Yoshida said that Nintendo "makes pretty fun family-friendly games." He has two Wii U consoles at his house, which he plays with his young daughters.
Nintendo's strength at catering to young gamers also pays dividends to companies like Sony, who generally cater to older gamers, he said.
"I think Nintendo and us are pretty much in the same group," Yoshida said. "We need Nintendo to be very successful, to help induct as many consumers who like to play games with controllers, right? With sticks and buttons. Because we believe they are great things."
Speaking broadly about the three console manufacturers, Yoshida said that just because they're in competition doesn't mean that Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony don't help each other.
"We need each other, I think, to create a bigger story."
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Really Horrible
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN