The Spike Video Game Awards have a new name, the VGX, and this year's show will air Saturday, Dec. 7, host Geoff Keighley announced last night on Twitter.
The X-based rebranding appears to be tied to a focus on next-generation games. According to the VGX website, this year's awards show will begin at 6 p.m. ET and run for three hours in an "intimate studio setting." Viewers can expect not only the usual barrage of world-premiere trailers, but also "in-depth extended demos" of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One titles, as well as interviews with an interactive component.
Interested parties will be able to watch the video game extravaganza on Spike, and the network will livestream the show globally on the websites for Spike, Comedy Central, MTV, MTV2, BET and GameTrailers, as well as on Android, iOS, Twitch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. According to Keighley, viewers will be treated to an "expanded digital footprint" for the VGX.
Spike has yet to reveal the nominees for the 2013 VGX, but visitors to the show's website can already vote on the Most Anticipated Game award, choosing between Destiny, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Titanfall, Watch Dogs and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart