Camouflaj raised more than $550,000 on Kickstarter in the spring of 2012 to develop Republique, and as recently as this past February, Payton told Polygon that his studio hoped to release the game on iOS by the end of the summer. The season came and went with no word from Camouflaj — in fact, the studio's website still says "coming summer 2013" — and now, there's no concrete date, but Payton told Red Bull U.K. that December is the new target.
"I think our June 2013 release date was the most optimistic we could have put on our Kickstarter, and I think what we've realised is that one, it sucks for Kickstarter backers, as there's definitely a precedent for things taking longer," said Payton.
He indicated that Camouflaj has been sharing progress updates with its Kickstarter backers, saying, "I felt that the community is in general pretty forgiving about teams asking for more time, though, and every time we brought up a delay with our backers, it was universally accepted, and positive and supportive. They just like being looped in and informed of it."
Republique is also in development on Windows PC and Mac.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas Plague Quarter - Overview Video
- What it's like to attend Girls Make Games, the all-girls game dev summer camp