Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley told GamerHubTV that he "can't wait to see" EverQuest Next on PlayStation 4, perhaps teasing that the upcoming Mac and Windows PC massively massively multiplayer online role-playing game could be headed to Sony's next-gen console.
"We haven't announced technically that we're putting it on the PlayStation 4, but it's fair to say that we're a Sony company, so I say that with a smile on my face," Smedley said. "Can't wait to see it on PS4."
EverQuest Next wouldn't be SOE's first MMO to make its way to the PS4. DC Universe Online was released for the console at launch last week, while PlanetSide 2 is slated for an early 2014 release on PS4.
When asked for his thoughts about what differentiates new consoles from their predecessors, Smedley cited two main features. First, the power inherent in the PS4's 8 GB of RAM on a "stable platform that we can depend on" allows the studio to act like it's "developing on a really super high-end PC, but it's even better than that." Second, the PS4's its integration with the PlayStation Network also allows SOE to "have a lot of features that we don't ordinarily see in MMOs," like using the console's friends list to bring players into the game.
SOE unveiled EverQuest Next in August 2013 for Mac and Windows PC. Be sure to check out Polygon's interviews and impressions of the game from its unveiling. If you want to get in on the action before its official release, EverQuest Next beta signups are open now.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Optimus Prime is no longer just a truck, he's a PlayStation
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
- The most progressive game of the summer is the one you're probably not playing
- Skylanders launching more powerful premium figures this fall
- Want to win the console war? Here's how
- Two Ubisoft developers watched a goat sacrifice while researching Far Cry 4
- Why is 2K suddenly so preoccupied with the original BioShock?