Square Enix isn't saying whether Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider reboot is headed to next-gen consoles, but a representative from the company told IGN that we may know more next month.
Reports of a next-gen version began circulating when a listing for Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PlayStation 4 appeared on Amazon's Italian website. Though it has since been removed, according to IGN, the listing included a January 24, 2014 release date and was bundled in the game's downloadable content. It also referenced next-gen consoles, which could indicate versions for Xbox One and Wii U.
Though a Square Enix representative stopped short of confirming a new version of the game, they did say that more information is forthcoming.
"It's so hard to keep a secret these days," the representative said. "We appreciate all of the enthusiasm, however we don't have any details to share just yet. That said, we highly recommend you keep an eye on any major gaming events happening in early December."
The 'early December' timing could be a reference to the annual Spike Video Game Awards, which often contain announcements like Dark Souls 2 last year. Tomb Raider has been nominated for Game of the Year, Best Action Adventure Game, Best Xbox and Best PlayStation Game. Voice actor Camilla Luddington has also been nominated for her portrayal of Lara Croft. Rebranded this year as VGX, the awards show will be livestreamed Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6 p.m. ET. Check out the full list of VGX 2013 nominees to see what made the cut.
For more on the game, which is available now for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC, you can read Polygon's Tomb Raider review.
- We play Titanfall, TowerFall and Dark Souls 2 in this week's Polygon Live
- Dark Souls 2 - Overview video
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 wants to be the simple, fast-paced game you remember
- Dark Souls 2: tips for beginners and returning masochists
- Nvidia debuts Battery Boost in new GTX 800M GPUs to improve laptop battery life
- Why you don't want an online mode in TowerFall
- Mercenary Kings hits PS4 April 1
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- Candy Crush creator estimates its IPO could value the company at $7 billion
- Ubisoft vet launching 'hardcore platformer' Cubit on EU 3DS eShop
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Robot Mode (Wed 12 Mar)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Towerfall Diamond League
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Need your help fellow Polynauts regarding my thesis study!!!
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- Video frame issues - It can't just be me
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC