The PlayStation 4 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts runs at a higher frame-rate than 60 FPS "on a fairly frequent basis," according to a post on Eurogamer from the Digital Foundry.
When comparing the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions of the game, reviewers — including our own — spotted problems with the game's struggle to maintain a steady frame-rate on PS4. According to the Digital Foundry, however, this problem is not a slowdown on the PS4 as originally thought.
"Taking the affected clips and running them through our performance analysis tools, we expected the results to show clear frame-rate drops and small bouts of tearing, but surprisingly this wasn't the case at all, with the results showing us a largely locked 60FPS bar one or two minor dips and a solitary torn frame," the post reads. "Furthermore, when seeking through the footage in performance-affected areas we were confronted with unique frames on a consistent basis, thus indicating a 60fps update that we just didn't feel when playing the game."
Captures revealed that scenes thought to be experiencing frame-rate loss were actually evidence of skipping or incomplete frames. The effect was caused by a frame-rate that frequently runs higher than 60 FPS and was "far more noticeable" to players than the drops to 50 FPS or on the Xbox 360 edition of the game.
The game's day-one patch helps address these problems to some degree, though it doesn't eliminate them completely, according to the analysis. The patch boosts the game's single-player campaign from 720p to 1080p; according to Activision, the discrepancy is a mistake caused by a "configuration error" on retail copies.
The Digital Foundry's full article is available at Eurogamer.
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 19
- Feature to track games?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us