The Xbox One will ship without support for Dolby encoding, Microsoft director of product planning Albert Penello confirmed in a NeoGAF post today.
"Dolby Digital is coming post launch," Penello wrote. "This was a SW scheduling issue pure and simple, and I know people are disappointed, but we will have it.
"Anyone with an HDMI receiver should be fine, as we pass the uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 [audio signals] through HDMI as well as DTS. Even if you have a Dolby only HDMI receiver (which I'm not sure exists), you will still get 5.1 or 7.1 sound since those receivers should accept uncompressed surround."
Surround sound headset maker Astro Gaming, some of whose peripherals intercept a Dolby signal from a S/PDIF port, will support simulated surround sound on the Xbox One at its launch tomorrow, Nov. 22, according to a post on the peripheral maker's Facebook page.
Astro peripherals will convert stereo signals to simulated surround by processing it with Dolby ProLogic II and encoding it with Dolby Headphone technology.
The Xbox One will also ship with HDMI audio in support in beta form. Those planning to use peripherals like cable boxes that will pump audio into the Xbox One through HDMI will need enable the "Surround Sound (BETA)" feature to activate surround sound support. You can find those steps on the official Xbox Support site.
According to Penello, Microsoft disabled the feature as a default because it "found some inconsistencies in [set-top boxes] during testing and decided to disable it by default to insure a good initial setup experience for people."
Marc Whitten, corporate vice president at Xbox, also confirmed on Twitter that the feature can be toggled on at launch.
You can learn more about the Astro A50 wireless gaming headset by reading The Verge's review.
- We play Titanfall, TowerFall and Dark Souls 2 in this week's Polygon Live
- Dark Souls 2 - Overview video
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 wants to be the simple, fast-paced game you remember
- Dark Souls 2: tips for beginners and returning masochists
- Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes EU PS3 pre-orders to include Peace Walker HD
- Why you don't want an online mode in TowerFall
- Nvidia debuts Battery Boost in new GTX 800M GPUs to improve laptop battery life
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- Mercenary Kings hits PS4 April 1
- Candy Crush creator estimates its IPO could value the company at $7 billion
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Robot Mode (Wed 12 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- Towerfall Diamond League
- Need your help fellow Polynauts regarding my thesis study!!!
- Video frame issues - It can't just be me
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC