The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us developer Telltale Games is working on a game based on George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones, according to an IGN report that cites multiple unnamed sources.
What's not clear from IGN's unconfirmed report yet is precisely which version of Martin's fantasy series Telltale's game would be based on: HBO's Game of Thrones television series or the Song of Ice and Fire novels, the first of which is titled A Game of Thrones. It's not clear if it will follow the stories as laid out in the novels or pursue something separate and original.
In a recent Reddit Q&A, Telltale Games co-founder Dan Connors said the developer is "working on a few licenses that definitely fall into our dream IP scenario and we can't wait to announce those."
A handful of developers have already adapted Game of Thrones into various video games, drawing upon the two primary sources. These include Cyanide's A Game of Thrones: Genesis and a Game of Thrones role-playing game, as well as Disruptor Beam's Game of Thrones Ascent and Bigpoint's MMO Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms.
When reached for comment, Telltale referred us to a statement to IGN from senior vice president of publishing Steve Allison.
"We get these sorts of rumors about what we could be working on next cropping up all the time. Officially we have no comment."
Telltale is currently in development on The Wolf Among Us, an episodic adventure game based on the Fables comic book series, and a new season of The Walking Dead.
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Looking for some good Players
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Rock1m1's review on Wolfenstein: The New Order