From Software's dark action role-playing games Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and their online multiplayer features had an influence on the PlayStation 4's design, according to Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios.
Speaking on the PlayStation Blog podcast today, Yoshida recounted this ten favorite games of the PlayStation 3 generation, saying Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were tied for second place. He estimated that he'd spent more than 100 hours playing the titles at work and at home.
"Lots of things these games, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, did, like leaving the message to other people asynchronously, so if you were connected — but not connected at the same time, all these things inspired us when we were designing the system features for PS4," Yoshida said. "The sharing features, I enjoy so much watching people playing Dark Souls on YouTube. These games still have special place in my memory."
Yoshida said he enjoyed watching other players play the game on streams because "this game is perfect to learn from other players how to attack the same situations with very different strategy."
Sony Computer Entertainment integrated streaming and sharing features into the PS4, and plans to add a feature that will let players remotely take control of a friend's game over the internet.
Near the end of the podcast, Yoshida explains why his favorite game of the generation, thatgamecompany's Journey, was his number one pick in a very personal and emotional discussion.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- You can pre-order this beautiful $365 Metroid statue starting today
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- RIP Friends List?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming