Some new Xbox One owners unpacked their Day One Edition consoles today and were greeted by non-functioning disc drives, according to reports in Amazon reviews and YouTube videos.
"Disc error, it sounds like a robot is vomiting when I try to put a [disc] in," wrote Amazon user JM, giving the console a one-star review. Another Amazon user said his Xbox One's disc drive "clicks and rejects discs." A four-page thread on the Xbox forums begins with a user describing the noise as a "crunching sound," with numerous others saying they're having the same problem.
Several videos on YouTube show people sliding a disc into the console and hearing a loud rattling sound. One YouTube user compiled many of the clips into a single video that you can watch above.
The percentage of affected consoles is unclear at the moment. Last week's launch of the PlayStation 4 also saw reports of technical problems such as overheating consoles; Sony initially said the issues were isolated to 0.4 percent of systems, and later revised the number to "less than 1 percent" of units.
Update: Microsoft says it plans to take care of customers with faulty Xbox One consoles and lays out multiple avenues for getting help.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?