Some new Xbox One owners unpacked their Day One Edition consoles today and were greeted by non-functioning disc drives, according to reports in Amazon reviews and YouTube videos.
"Disc error, it sounds like a robot is vomiting when I try to put a [disc] in," wrote Amazon user JM, giving the console a one-star review. Another Amazon user said his Xbox One's disc drive "clicks and rejects discs." A four-page thread on the Xbox forums begins with a user describing the noise as a "crunching sound," with numerous others saying they're having the same problem.
Several videos on YouTube show people sliding a disc into the console and hearing a loud rattling sound. One YouTube user compiled many of the clips into a single video that you can watch above.
The percentage of affected consoles is unclear at the moment. Last week's launch of the PlayStation 4 also saw reports of technical problems such as overheating consoles; Sony initially said the issues were isolated to 0.4 percent of systems, and later revised the number to "less than 1 percent" of units.
Update: Microsoft says it plans to take care of customers with faulty Xbox One consoles and lays out multiple avenues for getting help.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Contest Resumes: Infamous: Second Son - Win a statue of Delsin Rowe
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Where's Polygon? (Tue 15 Apr)
- The Secret Ending (spoilers)
- The best song in a video game?
- Gamertag Hook-Ups
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)