Some new Xbox One owners unpacked their Day One Edition consoles today and were greeted by non-functioning disc drives, according to reports in Amazon reviews and YouTube videos.
"Disc error, it sounds like a robot is vomiting when I try to put a [disc] in," wrote Amazon user JM, giving the console a one-star review. Another Amazon user said his Xbox One's disc drive "clicks and rejects discs." A four-page thread on the Xbox forums begins with a user describing the noise as a "crunching sound," with numerous others saying they're having the same problem.
Several videos on YouTube show people sliding a disc into the console and hearing a loud rattling sound. One YouTube user compiled many of the clips into a single video that you can watch above.
The percentage of affected consoles is unclear at the moment. Last week's launch of the PlayStation 4 also saw reports of technical problems such as overheating consoles; Sony initially said the issues were isolated to 0.4 percent of systems, and later revised the number to "less than 1 percent" of units.
Update: Microsoft says it plans to take care of customers with faulty Xbox One consoles and lays out multiple avenues for getting help.
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- How's this PC for next gen?
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29