Xbox One owners who found themselves on the receiving end of a defective console are being offered a free game for the inconvenience, according to emails from Xbox support representatives.
According to an email from Xbox customer care forwarded to Polygon, the company will let Xbox One owners with a faulty console choose from one of four titles: Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome or Zoo Tycoon. Since the games are downloadable titles, Xbox One owners with a malfunctioning optical drive can still play.
"While a replacement console is on its way, we want to ensure our advance exchange customers can stay in the game," a statement from Microsoft said. "We will provide each of them with a free digital download of one of the launch titles published by Microsoft Studios."
Following the Xbox One launch this past Friday, reports of defective disc drives prompted Microsoft to say it was "taking care of our customers" affected by hardware issues. Microsoft said defects were "affecting a very small number of Xbox One customers."
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Cheap Shark for Games?
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?