Xbox One owners who found themselves on the receiving end of a defective console are being offered a free game for the inconvenience, according to emails from Xbox support representatives.
According to an email from Xbox customer care forwarded to Polygon, the company will let Xbox One owners with a faulty console choose from one of four titles: Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome or Zoo Tycoon. Since the games are downloadable titles, Xbox One owners with a malfunctioning optical drive can still play.
"While a replacement console is on its way, we want to ensure our advance exchange customers can stay in the game," a statement from Microsoft said. "We will provide each of them with a free digital download of one of the launch titles published by Microsoft Studios."
Following the Xbox One launch this past Friday, reports of defective disc drives prompted Microsoft to say it was "taking care of our customers" affected by hardware issues. Microsoft said defects were "affecting a very small number of Xbox One customers."
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?