Xbox One owners who found themselves on the receiving end of a defective console are being offered a free game for the inconvenience, according to emails from Xbox support representatives.
According to an email from Xbox customer care forwarded to Polygon, the company will let Xbox One owners with a faulty console choose from one of four titles: Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome or Zoo Tycoon. Since the games are downloadable titles, Xbox One owners with a malfunctioning optical drive can still play.
"While a replacement console is on its way, we want to ensure our advance exchange customers can stay in the game," a statement from Microsoft said. "We will provide each of them with a free digital download of one of the launch titles published by Microsoft Studios."
Following the Xbox One launch this past Friday, reports of defective disc drives prompted Microsoft to say it was "taking care of our customers" affected by hardware issues. Microsoft said defects were "affecting a very small number of Xbox One customers."
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Nintendo lost $97M last quarter even with the success of Mario Kart 8
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?