Veteran game designer Masamichi Abe, known best for his work as director on Pikmin and Pikmin 2, as well as his work on Tekken 2, is developing a new IP for Nintendo according to a post on Twitter by current Tekken lead Katsuhiro Harada.
Abe is working at Nintendo Kyoto on the new original title, wrote Harada in response to a fan question asking if the designer is now retired. The game director had previously left Japan following his work on the sequel to Pikmin 2, moving to Seattle, Washington where he helped develop Metroid Prime: Hunters and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again on Nintendo DS.
Polygon has reached out to Nintendo for additional details on this new project.
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today