GameMaker Studio Standard Edition — a game development tool that is usually priced at $49 — is free for a limited time.
To take advantage of the freebie, download the free version of GameMaker from the company's website, choose the Beta channel and pick the option to register the Standard Edition. An activation code will then be sent to your email.
GameMaker is available in different tiers. The free studio edition is the most basic version and supports Mac OS, Windows PC and Windows 8 exports. The Standard Edition, which is currently free, supports all of the above and also gives users access to the unlimited resources feature.
The Professional and Master Collection Editions are also available and support additional features like texture management, mobile testing, HTML5 support, iOS export and more. For a limited time, those who have the Standard Edition can upgrade to the Professional Edition for $50. The Master Collection is also on sale until Dec. 3.
The free version of GameMaker can be downloaded here. More information on the offer and how to claim your free copy of GameMaker Studio Standard Edition can be found on the GameMaker Blog. The blog is down at the time of writing, but a cached version of the page can be accessed here.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Tabletop Simulator - Overview video
- Limbo, Skullgirls Encore and more join PlayStation Instant Game Collection in May
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)