Call of Duty: Ghosts, which launches tomorrow for consoles and Windows PC, has already been picked apart by hackers on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, with reports of aimbots, speed boosts and XP mods hitting Twitter and NeoGAF this morning.
YouTube user "MinnesotaBurns" was able to obtain a copy of the game early and recorded a conversation with one of the alleged hackers in a Ghosts chatroom. It seems like the hackers were able to obtain copies of Call of Duty: Ghosts earlier than the scheduled street date due to someone ripping and uploading an official copy of the game.
Ghosts was then downloaded to hacked consoles and players were able to set up multiplayer lobbies with various cheats in effect. Screenshots posted to NeoGAF and the Call of Duty forums show cheats including automatic aiming and the ability to see through walls. In the below video, the alleged hacker tells "MinnesotaBurns" that players on regular consoles won't get "infected" by participating in the hacked version of Ghosts, but other videos and tweets show that getting a kill in one of these lobbies will net a massive XP spike, well over 60,000 per kill.
When reached for comment on the illegally obtained copies and the hacked lobbies, a representative for Activision told Polygon that the company could not comment.
Call of Duty: Ghosts launches tomorrow for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows PC and Wii U. Next-gen versions will launch alongside the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on Nov. 15 and Nov. 22 respectively.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom announced, has kind of a Zelda vibe
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Really Horrible
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders