Update: It turns out that there will not be an ad-supported free option for Xbox Music streaming available to Xbox Live Gold subscribers on Xbox One. Instead, Xbox One owners will be able to stream 15 song plays for free, and will then be asked to pay for an Xbox Music Pass.
Albert Penello, head of product planning at Microsoft, followed up his original tweet from Nov. 3 with a tweet this afternoon to correct his original statement, saying, "I was wrong about Music on [Xbox One]: You get 15 free song plays then need Music Pass for ad-free streaming. No ad-supported streaming. Sorry!"
Original story: The Xbox One will feature free Xbox Music streaming for Xbox Live Gold members, although users will occasionally have to watch in-app ads, according to a tweet earlier this week from Microsoft head of product planning Albert Penello.
Penello's statement was in response to a Twitter user asking if Xbox Music on Microsoft's next-gen console would not require a music pass, similar to the current setup with Windows 8.1 and the Xbox Music website.
Xbox One users won't need to purchase a subscription to the Xbox Music service in order to stream music on their console, but users "will get periodic ads," Penello said. Access to the app will still require an Xbox Live Gold subscription.
@Artemis_Rojo yes. You don't have to subscribe, but you will get periodic Ads.— Albert Penello (@albertpenello) November 4, 2013
Xbox Music on Windows 8.1 and the web currently allows users to stream ad-supported music for free, while the Xbox 360 version requires a subscription.
The Xbox One will launch on Nov. 22 in North America and other select territories. Eight European countries and Japan are slated to receive the console in 2014.
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Gearbox fights back in Aliens suit, says it paid millions of its own cash to finish game
- Watch 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' a second time in Xbox One's new Syfy app
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Tell Us Your Story
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward