Update: It turns out that there will not be an ad-supported free option for Xbox Music streaming available to Xbox Live Gold subscribers on Xbox One. Instead, Xbox One owners will be able to stream 15 song plays for free, and will then be asked to pay for an Xbox Music Pass.
Albert Penello, head of product planning at Microsoft, followed up his original tweet from Nov. 3 with a tweet this afternoon to correct his original statement, saying, "I was wrong about Music on [Xbox One]: You get 15 free song plays then need Music Pass for ad-free streaming. No ad-supported streaming. Sorry!"
Original story: The Xbox One will feature free Xbox Music streaming for Xbox Live Gold members, although users will occasionally have to watch in-app ads, according to a tweet earlier this week from Microsoft head of product planning Albert Penello.
Penello's statement was in response to a Twitter user asking if Xbox Music on Microsoft's next-gen console would not require a music pass, similar to the current setup with Windows 8.1 and the Xbox Music website.
Xbox One users won't need to purchase a subscription to the Xbox Music service in order to stream music on their console, but users "will get periodic ads," Penello said. Access to the app will still require an Xbox Live Gold subscription.
@Artemis_Rojo yes. You don't have to subscribe, but you will get periodic Ads.— Albert Penello (@albertpenello) November 4, 2013
Xbox Music on Windows 8.1 and the web currently allows users to stream ad-supported music for free, while the Xbox 360 version requires a subscription.
The Xbox One will launch on Nov. 22 in North America and other select territories. Eight European countries and Japan are slated to receive the console in 2014.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)