Marth, the legendary hero of tactical role-playing series Fire Emblem, is returning to fight the good fight in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, Nintendo revealed today.
The blue-haired swordsman, the first Lord-class character of the original 1990 Fire Emblem and major player in its sequels, was confirmed for the latest Super Smash roster in a set of screenshots posted to the game's official page. Marth will be joining Smash Bros. newcomers Mega Man, the Wii Fit Trainer and the Animal Crossing Villager in the grand battle royale of Nintendo-published franchises.
This isn't Marth's first time at the rodeo. He made his Western debut — no Fire Emblem games starring Marth had been released in North America prior to this — in 2001 GameCube title Super Smash Bros. Melee alongside Roy, protagonist of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (which launched the following year in Japan only). Marth returned in 2008's Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii along with Ike from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS will be Marth's third appearance in the fighting game series.
The newest Super Smash Bros. game is slated to launch next year. During E3 2013, game director Masahiro Sakurai explained to Polygon the headache of deciding which characters to add or remove from the Smash Bros. roster.
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Shadow of Mordor's Wraith is the ring forger himself, Celebrimbor
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction