Quake Live will become a downloadable game by the end of this year, and the new client will drop native support for Linux and Mac platforms, according to a news post on the game's official forum.
Linux and Mac players with paid subscriptions will only be able to play through emulation or virtualization software. Reports from testers indicate that the free-to-play game does run in virtual machines.
The developer explained that the change to a standalone product is necessary because of diverging web browser roadmaps.
"Over the past few years, browser support for plugins such as Quake Live have dropped off significantly, causing problems for plugins to operate in a consistent and working manner," the post reads. "With the recent announcement of Google Chrome's roadmap to turning off plugin support and the upcoming changes in Firefox, it seems that now is the time to make the transition."
When the change happens later this year, Quake Live players will need to log into the website as they normally would, where they'll be prompted to download the new Quake Live Launcher. The new software will present users with an embedded website and interface similar to how it looks and operates today. Developer id Software also expects players to receive a few benefits from the change, including the ability to get in and out of matches faster and view server pings before joining games.
Quake Live players can sign up for the Launcher's beta in the game's Subscriber Only forum.
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- The Titanfall for Vita that wasn't and the decision that changed its name
- Doctor Who: Legacy first major update will add more than 20 hours of gameplay
- Meet the gay soldier you didn't know was in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?
- The best song in a video game?
- Controller Design Competition
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward