Blizzard's digital collectible trading card game Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is coming to iPhone and Android devices sometime in the second half of next year, chief creative officer Rob Pardo announced at BlizzCon today.
Pardo said the touch-controlled version of the game for tablets is a great way to play the game, but "not everyone actually has tablets." On stage, Pardo showed a shot of the game running on an iPhone 5s.
The game was already announced for iPad, Mac and Windows PC. That version of the game is expected to go into an open beta next month, Pardo said, "but in Blizzard language, that might mean January."
BlizzCon attendees will be treated to an exclusive Hearthstone card, Pardo announced, a gold card variant of the Elite Tauren Chieftan. When played, the ETC appears to boost the attacks of other cards already played with "power chords" giving other players "the power to ROCK!" Playing the card causes concert stage lighting and pyrotechnic effects on the playfield.
Blizzard revealed Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft at a PAX East 2013 panel. The free-to-play collectible card game entered a closed beta for Mac and PC in August. Polygon went hands-on with Hearthstone during the beta, so be sure to read our impressions to learn more about the game.
Blizzard will also host a the game's first tournament, the Hearthstone Innkeeper's Invitational, which will feature eight players this weekend at BlizzCon.
BlizzCon 2013 is underway at the Anaheim Convention Center, and Polygon is on hand to bring you all the news.
In This StoryStream
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Game contoller for PC