Blizzard's digital collectible trading card game Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is coming to iPhone and Android devices sometime in the second half of next year, chief creative officer Rob Pardo announced at BlizzCon today.
Pardo said the touch-controlled version of the game for tablets is a great way to play the game, but "not everyone actually has tablets." On stage, Pardo showed a shot of the game running on an iPhone 5s.
The game was already announced for iPad, Mac and Windows PC. That version of the game is expected to go into an open beta next month, Pardo said, "but in Blizzard language, that might mean January."
BlizzCon attendees will be treated to an exclusive Hearthstone card, Pardo announced, a gold card variant of the Elite Tauren Chieftan. When played, the ETC appears to boost the attacks of other cards already played with "power chords" giving other players "the power to ROCK!" Playing the card causes concert stage lighting and pyrotechnic effects on the playfield.
Blizzard revealed Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft at a PAX East 2013 panel. The free-to-play collectible card game entered a closed beta for Mac and PC in August. Polygon went hands-on with Hearthstone during the beta, so be sure to read our impressions to learn more about the game.
Blizzard will also host a the game's first tournament, the Hearthstone Innkeeper's Invitational, which will feature eight players this weekend at BlizzCon.
BlizzCon 2013 is underway at the Anaheim Convention Center, and Polygon is on hand to bring you all the news.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Cheap Shark for Games?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Square Goods @PS4 INVITE live 9pm pst
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?