Comedian Jay Leno is also a noted automobile enthusiast, and in the latest episode of his web series Jay Leno's Garage, he drives a car he owns in real life — in Gran Turismo 6.
Leno's car collection contains nearly 200 vehicles, one of which is a gold 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado modified with modern parts to the tune of 1,000 horsepower. Gran Turismo 6 developer Polyphony Digital digitized the Toronado for the just-released racing game, and in the video above, you can see Leno driving the car in real life, as well as in Gran Turismo 6 with a force-feedback wheel. Leno also offers some tips on taming the beast of a muscle car, saying, "You always want to have this thing pointed in a straight line."
"We love Jay's knowledge and enthusiasm for cars," said Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi. "It's great having the Toronado in the game. I have driven it in the game and it's a real challenge."
The episode of Jay Leno's Garage also features the Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo concept car, which is one of a number of vehicles designed specifically for Gran Turismo 6; it's the first and only one so far that has been turned into a real-life car. Mercedes-Benz recently showed it off at the Los Angeles Auto Show, and then brought it to Leno's garage in Los Angeles. He didn't drive it, but he did pilot it using a remote control, becoming the first person to do so outside of Mercedes-Benz.
"Video games are where cars will achieve cult status going forward and, like the Mercedes-Benz, where we will see cars make their debuts before being made for real," said Leno.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- When a successful game is a failure
- Marvel: Avengers Alliance adding Winter Solider, Guardians of the Galaxy content
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Titanfall Arcade adds a Titan touch to retro Atari games
- Mugen Souls Z heading to North America May 20
- EA's CEO on the company's plans for virtual reality
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- DualShock 4 decals offer customization for your PS4 controller