Fallout 4 is in development and "appears to be set in Boston", Kotaku reports based on documents obtained by the publication.
The documents in question pertain to a casting call for a project codenamed Institute. Though they do not reference the Fallout series directly, several references to the series' "setting and locations" appear throughout, including the codename itself. According to Kotaku, Institute's casting director is also linked to previous projects at developer Bethesda Game Studio.
The post-apocalyptic series already includes a version of Massachusetts. Known as The Commonwealth, the former state houses the Institute, a secretive version of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
This is not the first time rumors of Fallout 4 have centered on Boston. An anonymous poster on Reddit who "may or may not be an MIT employee" claimed in August 2012 that Bethesda had visited Boston locations. In January 2013, Fallout 3 voice actor Erik Dellums, who portrayed DJ Three Dog, teased on Twitter that there "may be more of the Dog coming."
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)