Ubisoft's Rainbow 6: Patriots, in its previously announced incarnation, "wasn't working," president of Ubisoft North America Laurent Detoc told IGN. The project is in the process of being remade, he said, adding, "If it doesn't work, we're not going to bring it to you."
Since being announced in November 2011, Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots "got caught in the transition of going to next-gen," Ubisoft senior vice president Tony Key said earlier this year. "Sometimes you have to take a step back and go 'you know, I'm seeing the possibilities, but it's gonna take more time,'" he said.
Detoc said Patriots might ultimately arrive under another name entirely, and with very different mechanics.
"Could it become a shooter with another name in the end, because the team doesn't want to do counter-terrorist guys?" he told IGN. "Say they want to be in a mercenary setting? That's possible."
Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots was announced as a single-player-focused game that "captures the reality of modern-day terrorism and allows players to experience it from multiple characters' perspectives." Patriots was said to be guided by difficult moral choices and would bring "new innovative co-op and multi-player experiences" to the franchise. The game was originally slated for release in 2013.
Late last year, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot told Polygon the game was still in development and "really looking good," adding that when Patriots comes out, "it will surprise the industry."
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Twitch Plays Pokémon starting Pokémon X on July 27 thanks to modded 3DS
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Really Horrible
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN