Apple chose indie developer Vlambeer's extreme fishing game Ridiculous Fishing — A Tale of Redemption as the company's iPhone game of the year for 2013, while Frogmind's Badland is in first place for best iPad game, according to listings on the iTunes App Store.
The company also chose two runners up in each category. On iPhone, the honors go to Simogo's interactive novel and puzzler hybrid Device 6 and PopCap's Plants. vs. Zombies 2. Ridiculous Fishing is available for $2.99, while Device 6 can be purchased for $3.99 and Plants vs. Zombies 2 is free.
On iPad, side-scroller Badland — available for $3.99 — is followed up by 2K's XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Kevin Ng's Impossible Road. The latter are $19.99 and $1.99 respectively.
The listings can be found under Apple's "Best of 2013" section on the computer app version of iTunes.
The App Store's Top Sellers lists are currently topped by Minecraft: Pocket Edition, Temple Run: Oz and Plants vs. Zombies HD for paid apps and Candy Crush Saga, YouTube and Temple Run 2 for free apps. Candy Crush is also currently the iTunes App Store's top grossing app, following by Supercell's Clash of Clans and Hay Day. All above games can be found via the App Store in browsers or the iTunes App.
Last year, Apple's "Best of 2012" awards went to Rayman Jungle Run on iPhone and The Room on iPad.
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- First Tekken 7 details revealed at Comic-Con