Zombie survival game DayZ marked its first day on Steam in ruddy form. 88,000 people bought into Bohemia Interactive's alpha, according to CEO Maruk Spanel.
"88,000 survivors have joined Dayz alpha in the first 12 hours," tweeted Spanel. "Thank you." DayZ was originally launched in 2012 as a mod for military tactics sim Arma 2. Set in a bleak landscape, it's a first-person survival game in which the player seeks to avoid zombies using extremely limited resources.
The long-awaited standalone alpha was launched yesterday on Steam Early Access priced at $29.99.
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Really Horrible