Zombie survival game DayZ marked its first day on Steam in ruddy form. 88,000 people bought into Bohemia Interactive's alpha, according to CEO Maruk Spanel.
"88,000 survivors have joined Dayz alpha in the first 12 hours," tweeted Spanel. "Thank you." DayZ was originally launched in 2012 as a mod for military tactics sim Arma 2. Set in a bleak landscape, it's a first-person survival game in which the player seeks to avoid zombies using extremely limited resources.
The long-awaited standalone alpha was launched yesterday on Steam Early Access priced at $29.99.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible