Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart confirmed the studio plans to bring a new licensed project to Kickstarter for funding in March or April 2014.
Speaking to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Urquhart suggested the title could feature the same engine used for its previous Kickstarter success Pillars of Eternity, but refrained from offering more details about the new project.
"What I'm trying to figure out is how could we make something that is more like a Skyrim for PC, forget console for now, with the engine we made in Unity for Eternity?" he said. "Where we are with our conversation, quest, data editors, and all of that.
"If we were careful about scope and let Chris Avellone go wild with creating a new world, more of an open world, what could we do? How much would it cost? Would it make sense for it to be episodic? Because going out there and saying, ‘We're gonna make 100 hours of gameplay,' everyone goes, ‘Oh my god, how could it not cost millions?' But could we create ten hours and have people pay ten bucks? And generally when we say ten hours, it's usually 15. But if we go with five episodes, then people get between 50 and 75 hours."
Urquhart clarified that the project is based on a licensed property; however, it won't be tied to the Alpha Protocol franchise.
"It's something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though," he added. "And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there's a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don't think that's going to work out."
The fantasy role-playing game Pillars of Eternity is planned for release on Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms in 2014.
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Hotline Miami publisher is coming to the rescue of GaymerX after this week's funding mishap (update)
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today