Taking to Twitter earlier today, the studio's official Twitter account tweeted that the studio had gone under water and that "everything in the office has pretty much been lost." The tweets can be viewed below.
Oh god. Water moves really quick. Hello Games has been totally flooded. Everything in the office has pretty much been lost :(— Hello Games (@hellogames) December 24, 2013
A lifesize cardboard cut out of Joe Danger went floating past face down. Poor Joe. He's taking this the worst.— Hello Games (@hellogames) December 24, 2013
Massive thanks to everyone who tried to help here today. We have learned that laptops float sometimes— Hello Games (@hellogames) December 24, 2013
Leaving now and letting firemen to help real people (all the houses around us with kids and xmas) - rather than us drowning to save a hdd :)— Hello Games (@hellogames) December 25, 2013
Polygon has reached out to the studio to find out how the company and its projects will be impacted. Hello Games recently announced that it is working on a planet exploration game called No Man's Sky. Our interview with the developers about the game can be read here.
Update: Hello Games developers returned to their flooded studios Christmas Day to assess the damage and explain what happened. A river broke its bank near the studio Christmas Eve, the developers tweeted, and a lot of water flooded into their offices quickly. "A biblical amount. It was coming in the windows!"
The flood of water destroyed most everything in the office including computers, monitors, furniture, a door, a wall and even personal items like a console collection that included a NEO GEO pocket.
We're taking stock today, but already I know we'll come back stronger :) - all we'll need is a place to work and a machine to work on :)— Hello Games (@hellogames) December 25, 2013
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine