Calling the 2013 holiday shopping season the company's best ever, online retailer Amazon announced this week it sold more than 36.8 million items worldwide on Dec. 2, the day on which Cyber Monday fell this year. The bestselling video game during the holiday season, Amazon said, was Call of Duty: Ghosts for Xbox 360.
The other two bestselling games during the holiday shopping season were Ubisoft's Just Dance 2014 for Wii and Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto 5 for Xbox 360. Both Ghosts and GTA 5 were included in Amazon's Cyber Monday sale.
While Amazon didn't provide specific sales for those three titles, it did boast of another metric. According to the company, the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were so popular that customers bought more than 1,000 units per minutes at the peak of sales for each console. The new platforms have been in and out of stock since launching in November.
To see what else the masses purchased online during the holidays, including Lady Gaga's Artpop and Despicable Me 2, read Amazon's news release.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- How to lose a game of Stronghold Crusader 2
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?