A new software update for Nvidia's Shield platform brings 1080p resolution and 60 frames per second streaming from PC games through Nvidia's GameStream technology, according to an update on the company's official blog.
In October, Nvidia introduced Shield's console mode, enabling native 1080p output of Android-based games and 720p, 60 frames per second streaming of PC games to an HDTV. Nvidia's latest update brings the latter to 1080p resolution in a handful of officially supported games, including Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Batman: Arkham Origins, Battlefield 4, BioShock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Crysis 3 and The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim.
Nvidia promises support for more games streaming in 1080p will be added on a weekly basis. The feature requires a Kepler-class GTX graphics card in the PC that Shield owners are streaming games from and an ethernet connection.
The latest software update adds something for Android game enthusiasts, as well. The Shield's control mapping feature, which lets players map touchscreen controls to button and control stick inputs, has been updated to support sharing and rating of community-generated gamepad profiles.
Using the Shield's Gamepad Mapper, users can now map control functions like gyroscope and motion control to physical inputs.
More details about the Nvidia Shield December software update are available at Nvidia's websites.
- Tales from the Borderlands stars two lying, greedy Pandorians
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Battlefield 4 server rentals coming to consoles soon
- When a successful game is a failure
- Five-hour PSN maintenance scheduled for today
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Betrayer exiting Early Access March 24
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- MotoGP 14 heading towards a multi-generation release in June
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Cheap Shark for Games?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Square Goods @PS4 INVITE live 9pm pst
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?