Star Trek Online's winter event will take place in Q’s Winter Wonderland from Dec. 5 through Jan. 16, publisher Perfect World Entertainment announced today.
As the location's name implies, the event in Cryptic Studios' massively multiplayer online role-playing game is the work of Q, the god-like being who first appeared in Star Trek: The Next Generation's pilot episode, "Encounter at Farpoint." Continuing his tradition of pawing at humans like a cat with a ball of string, Q has created a gingerbread colony and populated it with legions of angry snowmen for players to battle. The cross-faction event also includes a competitive races, in which players can earn pets and a new starship, and hidden items around the map.
Q's Winter Wonderland will be available for all Star Trek Online players level 10 and up. You can find out more about the event's snowball fights and holiday foods in a post on the game's official website.
A beta for the free-to-play MMORPG launched for Macs in mid-November.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Child of Light's creators discuss the birth of Aurora and her fairytale journey