Valve is now part of the Linux Foundation, according to a press release published today on the organization's website.
The Linux Foundation was created to support companies and individuals who use and develop for the open source operating system. The Foundation, which employs Linux creator Linus Torvalds, connects Linux users and sponsors Linux-focused events and meetings worldwide.
Over the last few years, Valve, the Bellevue, Washington-based developer of and operator of the Steam digital distribution platform has increased support for the open source operating system. In November 2012, it launched a closed beta for a Linux version of Steam, which included a Linux version of its free-to-play shooter Team Fortress 2. Steam for Linux left beta in February 2013 with 50 Linux-compatible titles.
In September 2013, Valve announced SteamOS, a Linux-based operating system designed to bring PC games into living rooms. The company's Steam Machine hardware will run the OS, which will also be available to third-parties.
"Joining the Linux Foundation is one of many ways Valve is investing in the advancement of Linux gaming," Valve's Mike Sartain said. "Through these efforts, we hope to contribute tools for developers building new experiences on Linux, compel hardware manufacturers to prioritize support for Linux, and ultimately deliver an elegant and open platform for Linux users."
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Fenix Fire launches Kickstarter campaign for arcade adventure Source
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?
- The best song in a video game?