Valve is now part of the Linux Foundation, according to a press release published today on the organization's website.
The Linux Foundation was created to support companies and individuals who use and develop for the open source operating system. The Foundation, which employs Linux creator Linus Torvalds, connects Linux users and sponsors Linux-focused events and meetings worldwide.
Over the last few years, Valve, the Bellevue, Washington-based developer of and operator of the Steam digital distribution platform has increased support for the open source operating system. In November 2012, it launched a closed beta for a Linux version of Steam, which included a Linux version of its free-to-play shooter Team Fortress 2. Steam for Linux left beta in February 2013 with 50 Linux-compatible titles.
In September 2013, Valve announced SteamOS, a Linux-based operating system designed to bring PC games into living rooms. The company's Steam Machine hardware will run the OS, which will also be available to third-parties.
"Joining the Linux Foundation is one of many ways Valve is investing in the advancement of Linux gaming," Valve's Mike Sartain said. "Through these efforts, we hope to contribute tools for developers building new experiences on Linux, compel hardware manufacturers to prioritize support for Linux, and ultimately deliver an elegant and open platform for Linux users."
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- Dota 2 team Newbee just won The International 4 — along with the largest eSports prize pool in history
- Bungie pays up $95K to the composer behind Halo
- I'm reviewing every FMV game because I'm broken inside
- Quit Twitter before you're hard, quit Instagram before you're soft
More from Polygon
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- A cool new FPS game for Google Play
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Gun Game Tips
- Polygon YouTube Channel
- Destiny Beta
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Standby Or Off On PS4