Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes will launch on March 18, 2014, with exclusive content featuring cyborg soldier Raiden hitting the Xbox versions, according to new trailers posted to YouTube by Konami.
The trailer above, "Night," shows more footage of Ground Zeroes' gameplay, while the trailer below introduces the Xbox-exclusive "Jamais Vu" mission. This add-on mission features Raiden as he appears in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance —which launched earlier this year — and will only be available as DLC for Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
The Xbox-exclusive content was announced during the Xbox One launch event last month, though no details on the DLC were revealed at the time.
At the PlayStation 4 launch event earlier in November, Konami announced the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 versions of Ground Zeroes would receive the "Deja Vu" add-on content. This DLC, exclusive to Sony consoles, features polygonal Classic Snake as he appears in the original PlayStation Metal Gear Solid and an additional mission.
When asked how new technology will affect development on Metal Gear Solid in a Q&A on Xbox Wire, franchise creator Hideo Kojima said that technology's "horizontal" evolution will change the way players interact with games — particularly with multiple devices available for play.
"Technology is at a crossroads, facilitating evolution perpendicular to the path we've taken thus far," Kojima said. "It's not just about the next level of gaming hardware anymore, it's about how that hardware will allow games to interact with multiple devices and SNS platforms. Technology is fanning out in a horizontal direction as opposed to the vertical evolution of the past."
Kojima also added that as more venues open for different types of player interaction, open world games will be the way to go for uniting them over shared gameplay experiences.
"From now on, an increasing number of players will be actively communicating with each other through the medium of games," he said. "The best way to engage and motivate these players, and nurture the resulting sense of competition among them is to give them the freedom of interaction that open world elements provide."
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, the standalone prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, will launch for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
- Titanfall - Overview video
- Dark Souls 2: tips for beginners and returning masochists
- Why you don't want an online mode in TowerFall
- Titanfall review: my buddy
- Dress like a samurai and other Final Fantasy heroes in Lightning Returns
- Dark Souls 2 review: not the end
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- Crytek to demo CryEngine on Linux at GDC
- Back to work: The story of the Hello Games flood
- Tetris to be played on the sides of a Philadelphia building
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?
- Mobile Marketing Tips
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)