God of War: Ascension tells the origin story of Kratos by going back to the raw rage he felt after losing his family, as seen in a live-action ad released today by Sony.
The commercial, called "From Ashes," focuses on Kratos' wife and daughter. As they crumble into the ashes that become his second skin, his memory of happier times with them fuels his rage, which is about to be unleashed on a horde of Greek soldiers.
Sony partnered with a production company called Imaginary Forces, which put together some of the cutscenes in previous God of War games, for the ad; the song featured in the video is an arrangement of Ellie Goulding's "Hanging On." According to Anthony Caiazzo, product marketing manager for Sony Computer Entertainment America, the process of making "From Ashes" was "just about the biggest production we've ever undertaken for a God of War commercial or trailer — or for any PS3 game for that matter."
A one-minute cut of the two-minute ad will air during the online livestream of the Super Bowl this Sunday. God of War: Ascension launches March 16 on PlayStation 3. You can watch the first half hour of the story campaign here.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)