God of War: Ascension tells the origin story of Kratos by going back to the raw rage he felt after losing his family, as seen in a live-action ad released today by Sony.
The commercial, called "From Ashes," focuses on Kratos' wife and daughter. As they crumble into the ashes that become his second skin, his memory of happier times with them fuels his rage, which is about to be unleashed on a horde of Greek soldiers.
Sony partnered with a production company called Imaginary Forces, which put together some of the cutscenes in previous God of War games, for the ad; the song featured in the video is an arrangement of Ellie Goulding's "Hanging On." According to Anthony Caiazzo, product marketing manager for Sony Computer Entertainment America, the process of making "From Ashes" was "just about the biggest production we've ever undertaken for a God of War commercial or trailer — or for any PS3 game for that matter."
A one-minute cut of the two-minute ad will air during the online livestream of the Super Bowl this Sunday. God of War: Ascension launches March 16 on PlayStation 3. You can watch the first half hour of the story campaign here.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- 25 character code not working on Xbox1
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?