God of War: Ascension tells the origin story of Kratos by going back to the raw rage he felt after losing his family, as seen in a live-action ad released today by Sony.
The commercial, called "From Ashes," focuses on Kratos' wife and daughter. As they crumble into the ashes that become his second skin, his memory of happier times with them fuels his rage, which is about to be unleashed on a horde of Greek soldiers.
Sony partnered with a production company called Imaginary Forces, which put together some of the cutscenes in previous God of War games, for the ad; the song featured in the video is an arrangement of Ellie Goulding's "Hanging On." According to Anthony Caiazzo, product marketing manager for Sony Computer Entertainment America, the process of making "From Ashes" was "just about the biggest production we've ever undertaken for a God of War commercial or trailer — or for any PS3 game for that matter."
A one-minute cut of the two-minute ad will air during the online livestream of the Super Bowl this Sunday. God of War: Ascension launches March 16 on PlayStation 3. You can watch the first half hour of the story campaign here.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart