Launching Gears of War 2's online play was the biggest regret of former Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski, according to a recently posted FAQ on his Tumblr.
"It was a huge mistake for everyone involved, unfortunately," Bleszinski wrote. Bleszinski offered additional insight on Gears of War as a whole, including the characters' look and dialogue. According to Bleszinski, the buff look of the characters wasn't his call, and his writing didn't include the day-to-day work.
"In hindsight having the characters yelling things like 'Shit yeah' while in the midst of a life and death situation might not have been the best idea," Bleszinski wrote. "Still, it's things like this that were a signature of the game."
According to Kotaku, the FAQ also included a now removed question on Epic's "Samaritan" demo that was shown at GDC in 2011.
"One day I'll be able to give the full story on that," Bleszinski wrote. "It's really a doozy. If journalists nag Epic enough and they give the OK I'd be glad to give details."
In response to questioning from Kotaku, Epic Games echoed Bleszinski in that it was a "doozy," and added that there is no new information about it.
Bleszinski left Epic Games in October 2012 to take a "much needed break" after 20 years in the industry. On his Tumblr, he added that "in becoming the overall 'master of the fun' as Design Director I didn't have 'my baby' project any longer, which was something that I really missed.
"I also had saved enough to just take some time off and roam the earth like Kane in Kung Fu," Bleszinski wrote.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- GameStop has a plan to give The Last of Us owners half off of the Remastered edition
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update