The Last of Us was originally scheduled for a May 7, 2013 release on PlayStation 3. Naughty Dog characterized the delay as necessary to deliver the quality that the studio demands of itself.
"As a team we pride ourselves on setting a very high quality bar for every aspect of our games — gameplay, story, art, design, technology and more," Druckmann writes. "We want to make sure The Last of Us raises that bar even further — or ourselves, and most importantly, our fans.
"As we entered the final phase of development for The Last of Us, we came to realize just how massive Joel and Ellie's journey is. But instead of cutting corners or compromising our vision, we came to the tough decision that the game deserved a few extra weeks to ensure every detail of The Last of Us was up to Naughty Dog's internal high standards."
For more on the game, be sure to check out our hands-on from earlier this month.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall