David Gaider, a senior writer at BioWare, will give a talk at GDC 2012 called "Sex in Video Games" where he'll explore the possibilities and difficulties with the subject matter, according to a listing on the event's website.
"Games have reached the point where realistic portrayals of sex and adult relationships are possible, but what does this mean to us as developers?" the talk's description reads. "How much responsibility do we have in addressing issues of sexism and sexuality, and are we inadvertently making statements about what is acceptable, even when we don't mean to say anything at all?"
His talk will encompass questions like whether video games can or should be seen as an art form, whether or not they should address social issues, and what implications that has in terms of sales.
Gaider has been at BioWare since 1999, where he's worked on properties like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, as well as the Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age franchises. He's also written several novels based in the Dragon Age universe, including the just-released graphic novel Dragon Age: Those Who Speak.
GDC 2013 will take place from March 25-29, and Polygon will be on hand to bring you all the news. The developer-focused conference will also include talks from Hideo Kojima, the developers of Halo 4 and Hitman: Absolution and the developers of Journey and Dishonored.
- Want to win the console war? Here's how
- But WHAT CAN BE DONE: dos and don'ts to combat online sexism
- The most progressive game of the summer is the one you're probably not playing
- Why Banner Saga is avoiding the budget-price pitfall of the App Store - and how Apple is helping
- Why is 2K suddenly so preoccupied with the original BioShock?
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- DESTINY disappointment?
- PS4 Beta Codes
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Spare Xbox One code
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward