David Gaider, a senior writer at BioWare, will give a talk at GDC 2012 called "Sex in Video Games" where he'll explore the possibilities and difficulties with the subject matter, according to a listing on the event's website.
"Games have reached the point where realistic portrayals of sex and adult relationships are possible, but what does this mean to us as developers?" the talk's description reads. "How much responsibility do we have in addressing issues of sexism and sexuality, and are we inadvertently making statements about what is acceptable, even when we don't mean to say anything at all?"
His talk will encompass questions like whether video games can or should be seen as an art form, whether or not they should address social issues, and what implications that has in terms of sales.
Gaider has been at BioWare since 1999, where he's worked on properties like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, as well as the Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age franchises. He's also written several novels based in the Dragon Age universe, including the just-released graphic novel Dragon Age: Those Who Speak.
GDC 2013 will take place from March 25-29, and Polygon will be on hand to bring you all the news. The developer-focused conference will also include talks from Hideo Kojima, the developers of Halo 4 and Hitman: Absolution and the developers of Journey and Dishonored.
- Towerfall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- Prepare to run Dark Souls 2 with the PC version's system requirements
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Which FPS are you most looking forward to in 2014?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends