Sony says the world will "see the future" at its PlayStation Meeting 2013 event next week in New York, but today the company went back in time with a retrospective series it calls "PlayStation Evolution."
The first episode, "The Beginning," focuses on the inception of Sony's video game division and the rise of its first console, the PlayStation. Sony Computer Entertainment was founded in November 1993; the PlayStation launched in Japan in December 1994, and in North America and Europe in September 1995. Early PlayStation-exclusive hits included Crash Bandicoot, PaRappa the Rapper and Wipeout.
Sony will follow up "The Beginning" with more videos highlighting the hardware that succeeded the PlayStation in the lead-up to Feb. 20, when the company is expected to unveil its next-generation console.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30