Konrad Tomaszkiewicz game director and Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz lead quest designer said that after they wrote their engine they knew it was now possible for them to create an open world game. But in the Witcher 2, they had ''missed the freedom of exploration'.
"The player was put into the story and couldn't just run away and do something else but now player scan explore the world and story how they want to," Konrad said to Game Informer.
So the team looked at many hit open world titles to learn the rights and wrongs of creating an open world universe. From Skyrim they learned how to make the feeling of the open world, huge vista and fill it with dungeons and adventures but the storyline was lacking. Konrad said another lesson they learned from Skyrim was that they needed to care about immersion all the time and not implement generic solutions.
"The story line is generic and the exploring is but when we combine it with our knowledge from the previous games it will be the perfect RPG," says Konrad. He went on to say that he couldn't recall five characters from the title because the storyline was so generic.
Mateuz praised Skryim's vistas, that when the player sees them they have an inclination to go that place and explore it.
He also gave a hat-tip toNew Vegas' for the storyline and for not having too many cutscenes, something he thought Skyrim had too much of. Unfortunately he felt that something was missing from New Vegas and that it showed him their task was to be a really big challenge.
Mateuz spoke about the introduction of Geralt of Rivia's horse into the video game adaptations of the Andrzej Sapkowski's books. He says that it was a mechanic CD Projekt RED talked about implementing for the Witcher 2 but couldn't.
"But the landscapes weren't big enough to really experience the horse," Mateuz said to Game Informer. "For the next game we thought that it would be really cool to have those mechanisms, because fans very often wrote in the forums wrote that Gerald always has his horse in the books."
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Play Mass Effect 3's ultimate space battle with this Homeworld 2 mod
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- A look back on Harvest Moon, the unlikely console farming simulator
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Two more videos show off Ultra Street Fighter 4's characters, opening cinematic
- Easter eggs? Here are two in Garden Warfare — including the Slender Man
- See Star Citizen's dogfighting, and more, in action