Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson recently commented on his 2012 earnings, which totaled around $101.4 million, on Reddit, calling it "weird but wonderful."
Perrson explained that though he never struggled with money after getting a job, he grew up in a relatively poor family.
"Now, all of the sudden, as a result of how modern society works, I managed to somehow earn a shit-ton of money," Persson wrote.
"I think the right way to use money like this is to set a decent portion aside to make sure my family is comfortable, spend some on living out your dreams, and then try to put the rest towards making society a better place. For me, this includes charities that help children, and charities that help promote freedoms I think are vital in the coming dozens of years, such as the EFF."
Perrson credits Minecraft players and fans for his success, adding in a later comment, "there's not a day that goes by where I'm not grateful for this."
Polygon reported yesterday on Mojang's earnings, which came to approximately $237.7 million.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?