Watch Dogs, Ubisoft's high-tech open-world action game, is headed to PlayStation 4, Ubisoft's Jonathan Moran announced today at the PlayStation Meeting 2013.
A press release from Ubisoft later confirmed that the game will be released as a launch title, pegging it for a holiday 2013 release.
"Ubisoft has a strong history of supporting new technologies with unique and creative offerings," Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said in the press release. "The power and capability of the PS4 allows the Watch Dogs team to further push the boundaries of what was previously thought possible in interactive entertainment."
Moran showed off the game running on a PS4 during a demo on stage, which you can watch beneath the gallery below.
Ubisoft unveiled Watch Dogs During E3 2012 with a nearly 10-minute long trailer showing off some seriously impressive graphical power. Shortly thereafter, creative director Jonathan Morin told Polygon that, although the game was in development for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, he would't rule out a next-gen port.
"We're a multiple platform game, but as we grow and push the contents to its limits, if there's other opportunities that show up, and it improves the experience, then we'll surely listen very carefully," Morin said.
With today's announcement, Ubisoft revealed that it had taken advantages of those "other opportunities."
Morin revealed in a tweet Wednesday that he'd arrived in his New York hotel ahead of the PlayStation Meeting.
Earlier this month, leaked marketing materials indicated that the game is headed to "all home consoles" during the "holiday 2013" season.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)