On Wednesday, Braid developer Jonathan Blow announced that his next game, The Witness, will come to PlayStation 4 as a timed console exclusive, meaning owners of consoles like Microsoft's next Xbox and Nintendo's Wii U may have to wait to play his game.
In an interview with Kotaku, Blow says the decision to ink a deal with Sony came down to a few key factors, including the PS4's technical specs and the "it's about games" positioning of the next-gen PlayStation.
"There were people at Sony who really liked the game and were keeping in touch with us about it, and so we naturally started going to their PS4 developer events, got a dev kit, and started playing with it," Blow said. "I don't have good communication with anyone at Microsoft right now, and haven't been disclosed on their next console, but all our technical people like the PS4 specs a lot more than the leaked Durango specs, and we like the positioning of the PS4 (it's about games) a lot more than what we perceive Microsoft's positioning is going to be."
Blow adds that development of the PS4 version of The Witness makes another console port impractical for the time being, but that plans for a PC and iOS release of the game are still on.
During Sony's PlayStation 4 reveal event, the company said it plans to continue to allow independent developers to self-publish games through its PlayStation Network, rather than require an established publisher.
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- The Sun Also Rises is the prettiest game about war
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders