Last fiscal quarter, people spent more money on iOS and Android games combined than on games for dedicated handhelds, according to analytics company App Annie.
In the company's recent quarterly Portable Gaming Report, compiled in conjunction with market intelligence and advisory company International Data Corporation, purchases made through the iTunes App Store and Google Play were higher than those of portable hardware titles for the fourth quarter ending Dec. 31, 2012.
According to the report, consumers spent the most money on dedicated portable game systems in December, with around 60 percent of Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita sales for the quarter occurring during that month. Sales of these two systems were "significantly higher" than App Store and Google Play sales during this brief period.
The report lists Supercell's Clash of Clans as the most downloaded iOS title, while Puzzle and Dragons ranked highest on Google Play. The most popular handheld title was Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 for 3DS.
"While the most popular games and their business models are quite distinct, Nintendo and Apple were surprisingly close in terms of aggregate consumer spend on game software in the fourth quarter of 2012," said IDC gaming research manager Lewis Ward. "Seasonality is more pronounced in the dedicated handheld space and we hope this report series will help clarify the evolution of portable gaming dynamics in 2013 and beyond."
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The man who made Atari's E.T. names his worst video game of all time
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today