Last fiscal quarter, people spent more money on iOS and Android games combined than on games for dedicated handhelds, according to analytics company App Annie.
In the company's recent quarterly Portable Gaming Report, compiled in conjunction with market intelligence and advisory company International Data Corporation, purchases made through the iTunes App Store and Google Play were higher than those of portable hardware titles for the fourth quarter ending Dec. 31, 2012.
According to the report, consumers spent the most money on dedicated portable game systems in December, with around 60 percent of Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita sales for the quarter occurring during that month. Sales of these two systems were "significantly higher" than App Store and Google Play sales during this brief period.
The report lists Supercell's Clash of Clans as the most downloaded iOS title, while Puzzle and Dragons ranked highest on Google Play. The most popular handheld title was Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 for 3DS.
"While the most popular games and their business models are quite distinct, Nintendo and Apple were surprisingly close in terms of aggregate consumer spend on game software in the fourth quarter of 2012," said IDC gaming research manager Lewis Ward. "Seasonality is more pronounced in the dedicated handheld space and we hope this report series will help clarify the evolution of portable gaming dynamics in 2013 and beyond."
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Play Settlers of Catan Anytime thanks to HTML 5
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Really Horrible
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders