Team Meat co-founder and Mew-Genics co-creator Edmund McMillen has only hinted at gameplay for the upcoming cat-centric title, but the designer's recent update explains that it will be unlike any other game.
"I think most would describe Mew-Genics as a cross between The Sims and Pokémon with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and a dash of Tamagotchi," McMillen wrote, "but at its core the game really isn't like anything we've seen before."
"I could write a book on the design of Mew-genics, it's by far the most complex game I've ever worked on and it's definitely pushing us both on many levels, but I think the best way to describe how Mew-Genics plays is with a little story."
McMillen goes on to describe his trials and tribulations with a cat named Puddle. While attempting to breed Puddle, he ends up with one dead cat in the attic and two narcoleptic kittens. Puddle contracts feline aids, and McMillen places her in the Cryo-cube in hopes of finding a future cure, just before he's arrested by local animal control.
Mew-Genics will release for Steam, iOS, Android and "possibly more," McMillen writes, though a specific release date has not been announced.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27