PlanetSide 2 players in Europe are being told to change their passwords after European publisher ProSiebenSat.1 Games announced on the PlanetSide 2 EU forums that their system was hacked.
The post, written by a community manager, reads:
We have ascertained that there was recently unauthorized third-party access to one of our systems. The possibility that your data (Email address and password) has been accessed by an unauthorized third party cannot be excluded. We were able to detect the problem promptly and took all necessary action to rectify the issue.
Your account data is encrypted with us for your security. Nevertheless, we have decided to take preventative measures in order to ensure the highest degree of security.
All accounts that may have been subject to unauthorized access have received an e-mail in which we have requested the user to change their password.
The message continues with password guidelines as well as a recommendation for users to change their passwords on other services if they share any similarities with the password used for their PlanetSide 2 accounts.
PlanetSide 2 is a free-to-play massively-multiplayer online game developed by Sony Online Entertainment. ProSiebenSat.1 Games operates the "monetization frontline" for games like PlanetSide 2 in Europe.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- Russian and German armor clash in Combat Mission: Red Thunder
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- 'The Players' Score: A Videogame Music Documentary' is headed to Kickstarter with composers you'll recognize
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort