A new software engineering project from Electronic Arts will allow gamers to use the same identity across multiple game platforms, such as PlayStation Network, Xbox Live, Origin and more, GamesBeat reports.
The publication spoke with EA's chief technology officer, Rajat Taneja, about the project's goal and function. With the new system in place, the company can better track gamer's activities with any EA title, whether its on a console, PC, Facebook or iPhone.
"Our strategic vision at EA is to create a single backend system so that we can truly embrace the secular trends in our industry that are creating massive growth for games," Taneja told GamesBeat. "And we will be able to embrace all of the new business models that come with that."
A singular identity will allow players to find friends easier, no matter what the platform, and enjoy multiplayer sessions. Other benefits include reductions in data storage costs, or accessing a game on one platform and then continuing play from another.
"All of our games will enable types of experiences that are congruent and consistent on the PC, consoles, smartphones and tablets," Taneja said. "We have a complete re-architecture of our data systems that gives us a single view of the data."
Forbes reports that gamers will still need to have a copy of the game on the platform they
According to GamesBeat, this is only the first of many goals EA has to create open access, and the company will continue to pursue a unified platform.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Do low game prices spell a 'mass extinction' for game developers?
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Pokémon's Slowpoke has its own official reggae song
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- I've experienced the Pokémon World Championships, and you should too
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)