Naughty Dog developers discuss in detail the inspiration and characteristics of The Last of Us' Infected in the first installment of the game's developer diaries, titled "Hush."
Neil Druckman creative director said that inspiration for the Infected came from a BBC Planet Earth documentary that featured Cordyceps fungus.
"As soon as we saw it we were intrigued by the idea of what if it jumped to humans? What interesting ways would it take over a human," he says.
Phillip Kovats audio lead pointed out: "A very big directive from the very beginning was they're not zombies."
Extended cuts of The Last of Us Development video series will be available on the game disc.
The Last of Us set for a June 14 release on PlayStation 3.
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Tell Us Your Story
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What Last-Gen Game Do You Want Remade For Next-Gen?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- DESTINY disappointment?