Naughty Dog developers discuss in detail the inspiration and characteristics of The Last of Us' Infected in the first installment of the game's developer diaries, titled "Hush."
Neil Druckman creative director said that inspiration for the Infected came from a BBC Planet Earth documentary that featured Cordyceps fungus.
"As soon as we saw it we were intrigued by the idea of what if it jumped to humans? What interesting ways would it take over a human," he says.
Phillip Kovats audio lead pointed out: "A very big directive from the very beginning was they're not zombies."
Extended cuts of The Last of Us Development video series will be available on the game disc.
The Last of Us set for a June 14 release on PlayStation 3.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Highergrounds Game
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?