Company of Heroes 2 developer Relic Entertainment is under new management, but it's essentially business as usual and the studio plans to announce details of the game's closed beta soon, said producer Greg Wilson in a letter to fans.
Sega acquired Relic for $26.6 million in THQ's first bankruptcy auction a month ago.
"Shortly after the acquisition was announced, work on integrating the entire Relic team began," said Wilson. "It's been a rapid transition period and I'm happy to say we're a pretty much fully functioning member of the Sega family now and remain fully focused on shipping the highest quality version of Company of Heroes 2 you have all been waiting for."
Wilson added that Relic "will be much more communicative" about the state of the game and the studio's future plans once the transition period is fully complete.
"Right now we're working towards bringing you the closed beta build which we'll be able to talk more to you about soon," said Wilson.
"we're a pretty much fully functioning member of the Sega family now"
According to an FAQ on the THQ-to-Sega transition posted yesterday on the Company of Heroes 2 forums by community manager Bobby Miller, Relic has "not been affected" by the transition and "remains intact." In addition, said Miller, nothing is changing for anybody who has pre-ordered the game or been promised beta access, unless they pre-ordered from THQ's online store — in which case their pre-order should already have been canceled and their money refunded.
As for pre-orders from other retailers, including Steam and Origin, Miller said, "We will be reaching out to all retail and digital partners to ensure there is a convenient and smooth transition."
He added, "We are still planning on a phased approach [for beta access] which will accommodate pre-order players." In other words, those who pre-ordered for beta access will be granted entry before other interested parties.
Company of Heroes 2 is set for release on Windows PC in 2013. "We are looking forward to sharing a firm release date with you in the near future," said Miller.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay
- Keep your pants up with these GoldenEye proximity mines
- What do these major changes to Twitch mean for eSports?
- Honey, Madden shrunk the linebacker in its greatest glitch of all time
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Payday 2's upcoming add-on pack is an homage to Battlefield