Company of Heroes 2 developer Relic Entertainment is under new management, but it's essentially business as usual and the studio plans to announce details of the game's closed beta soon, said producer Greg Wilson in a letter to fans.
Sega acquired Relic for $26.6 million in THQ's first bankruptcy auction a month ago.
"Shortly after the acquisition was announced, work on integrating the entire Relic team began," said Wilson. "It's been a rapid transition period and I'm happy to say we're a pretty much fully functioning member of the Sega family now and remain fully focused on shipping the highest quality version of Company of Heroes 2 you have all been waiting for."
Wilson added that Relic "will be much more communicative" about the state of the game and the studio's future plans once the transition period is fully complete.
"Right now we're working towards bringing you the closed beta build which we'll be able to talk more to you about soon," said Wilson.
"we're a pretty much fully functioning member of the Sega family now"
According to an FAQ on the THQ-to-Sega transition posted yesterday on the Company of Heroes 2 forums by community manager Bobby Miller, Relic has "not been affected" by the transition and "remains intact." In addition, said Miller, nothing is changing for anybody who has pre-ordered the game or been promised beta access, unless they pre-ordered from THQ's online store — in which case their pre-order should already have been canceled and their money refunded.
As for pre-orders from other retailers, including Steam and Origin, Miller said, "We will be reaching out to all retail and digital partners to ensure there is a convenient and smooth transition."
He added, "We are still planning on a phased approach [for beta access] which will accommodate pre-order players." In other words, those who pre-ordered for beta access will be granted entry before other interested parties.
Company of Heroes 2 is set for release on Windows PC in 2013. "We are looking forward to sharing a firm release date with you in the near future," said Miller.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- Zuckerberg tried out PS4 VR headset a week before Oculus VR acquisition
- Minecraft may hit PS4 and PS Vita Q2/Q3 this year
- Meiji era Ace Attorney announcement trailer teases main characters
- The Dreamcast was the beginning, and the end, of the golden age of peripherals
- Puppeteer, PayDay 2 and more join PS Plus Europe free game collection April 30