Kojima listed the typical areas of improvement with a new console — graphics, audio, 3D capabilities and more — and then pointed out, "These things are a given. They come with the new hardware.
"But what I'm really more interested in is other ways of expanding into the next generation — a more horizontal expansion, where you're going to be doing things online, more of a social aspect," said Kojima. "People will be able to interact with the game through various devices, through various media such as tablets, smartphones, etc."
During Sony's announcement of the PS4 last week, Gaikai CEO David Perry talked up the console's networking and social functionality, including the ability to livestream games directly to Ustream and upload gameplay clips to Facebook with the DualShock 4 controller's "share" button.
"It's this new type of interaction — this new way of interacting with the game world — that's more exciting to me," said Kojima, adding that he wants to implement that kind of interaction into future Metal Gear games.
Kojima Productions, the studio Kojima runs, is currently working on Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, which is in development on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- More Dragon Quest games heading to mobile, including the original, very soon