Digital publishing company Ziff Davis has acquired IGN Entertainment from News Corporation for an undisclosed amount, Ziff Davis parent company J2 Global announced today.
IGN and its sister sites — including GameSpy, AskMen, File Planet and 1Up — will become part of the Ziff Davis network, which already includes ExtremeTech, PC Magazine, Toolbox.com and Geek.com.
The sale is part of News Corp's plan to separate its entertainment and publishing sectors. Neither News Corp nor J2 Global have disclosed the purchase amount, but GamesIndustry reports it was less than the $100 million News Corp initially wanted.
"The deal enables IGN to do what it does best — delivering to you the very best games and entertainment content — and makes Ziff Davis one of the largest digital publishers for tech, video games and entertainment, with over 53 global million monthly unique visitors," reads a post by IGN UK Editor-in-Chief Alex Simmons.
News Corp purchased IGN and its string of websites in 2005 for $650 million. IGN joined News Corp's Fox Interactive Media unit as part of the corporation's initiatives to strengthen its online entertainment and media divisions.
J2 Global acquired Ziff Davis for $167 million in November of last year. Prior to acquiring Ziff Davis, J2 Global was focused on cloud technologies and telecommunications services.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Tell Us Your Story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Highergrounds Game